A House is nothing but a brick wall and mortar dwelling until we, who live in it instill life and make it a Home. Additionally, a work place is a very special place as we spend most of our time here. We do everything to bring and sustain the peace and prosperity in our homes – from creating great ambiences to performing the scared Vastu Shanti Puja. It is an elaborative puja performed to appease Vastu Purush and can be performed both in new as well as old homes. Vastu Purush is symbolic of the heart, soul, and protector of a home. As per the Vastu Shastra, a Vastu compliant home radiates a free flowing positive energy resulting in a well-balanced environment. It also cascades peace and prosperity among the dwellers. We do this puja to eliminate the ill effects of the Vastu Doshas.
Importance and Significance of Vastu Shanti Puja
- Vastu Shastra is believed to be backed by astronomical science.
- A home or a building structure built as per vastu compliance is said to be blessed by Vastu Purush
- Vastu Shanti Puja is believed to remove the ill-effects of Vastu Doshas of a particular plot, building or house.
- Because of space constraints, many structures and homes built in urban areas are not in compliance with vastu. Majority of the times, making structural changes in accordance with vastu is impossible. In such cases, Vastu Shanti Puja becomes very crucial to appease the Lord and Deity of the House.
- To be more precise we pray to the Lord of the directions, five fundamental elements of nature and other natural forces. The five elements as per Hindu Vedic texts are Prithvi (Earth), Agni (Fire), Jal (Water), Akash (Sky) and Vaayu (Air).
- With the Vastu Shanti Puja one can also beg for mercy in case the construction has caused any harm to any sort of living beings like trees, animals, birds, insects etc.
History of Vastu Shastra and Vastu Shanti
It is not clearly known as to how this study came into being. Many religious scriptures have references to Vastu Shastra.
- In the days gone by it was considered scientific simply because the ‘science of directions’ was based on the movement of the Sun. Suggestions and corrections were made after studying the way the sunrays fell.
- The Atharva Veda in its sub-scripture Stapatya Veda speaks of Vastu Shastra and Shanti Puja. The Yogis meditated and due to divine intervention found answers in the cosmos. For building temples knowing architecture was important and hence the study of Vastu came into being.
- The knowledge of Vastu was only with the architects who were then known as Sthapatis. The written knowledge is found in various texts like Vishnu Purana, and Skanda Purana.
- The knowledge was then passed to future generations in the form of textbooks like Kashyap Shilpshastra, Pramaan Maanjari. etc.
- Apart from this, even The Ramayana and The Mahabharata indirectly speak of it.
- Even Lord Buddha is known to have delivered sessions on architecture based on Vastu Shastra.
Occasions to Do the Vastu Shanti Puja
Vastu Puja can be performed on 3 different occasions –
- When you are entering a new home (along with Griha Pravesh Puja)
- When you buy a new land for any use
- If you have refurbished and renovated your premises
- If you happen to be coming back to an empty house after a really long time,it would be beneficial if you do the Vastu Shanti Puja before setting it again.
Benefits of Vastu Shanti Puja
- Your home is your sanctum sanctorum. Vastu Shanti Puja sanctifies all the nooks and corners of the premises.
- It helps achieve positive vibrations and invites mental peace and stability
- Vastu Shanti Puja is also known to have a positive effect on the wealth of the family/company occupying the premises.
- It has a significant positive impact on the health of all the occupants
- It helps maintain healthy relationships within the unit.
- It eliminates the ill effects of bad directions or curses.
Vastu Shanti Puja Vidhi
- The Vidhi begins with putting up a Toran on the entrance.
- The auspicious Tulsi is planted.
- Lamps are lighted
- Lord Ganesh, being the Pratham Pujya is invited and his idol is placed
- The Pandits recite of Vastu Purush’s story and the importance of Vastu Shanti Vidhi
- Kalash Sthapna and Puja
- Navagraha Puja
- Vastu Purush Puja
- Yagya or Hom
- Singing the Aarti and distributing the Prasad
- Burying the Vastu Purush in a direction mentioned by Panditji.
Auspicious Muhurats for Vastu Shanti Puja
Muhurats for the Vastu Shanti Puja depend on the city/town/district. Also note that even on these auspicious dates only certain time periods shall be considered auspicious depending on the movement of the planets. Please consult an expert before doing the Puja.