Hindu culture is full of different samskaras. Annaprashan Puja is one such important ceremony. The occasion when a baby consumes food for the first time is celebrated as Annaprashan Ceremony. It is a time of celebration where friends and family are invited to be a part of this joyous occasion. The process is also known as the 'First Rice Eating Ceremony'. It is known by different names like 'Mukhe Bhaat', 'Choroonu', and 'Bhaatkhulai'. It is performed on even days for boys and odd days for girls.Importance and Significance of Annaprashan Puja
This Rice feeding ceremony is performed with the belief that it will remove any inadequacies that may have been present. But this will happen only after it is carried out according to the proper Vedic method. Although the baby has been drinking milk, this ceremony is important as it is the first time he will consume solid food. The age is an important aspect to be looked into. This Puja has to be done between the ages of six to seven. If performed earlier, his body might not be able to digest it and delaying it too much might affect the health of the child.
Benefits of Annaprashan Puja
- It is believed to cleanse the baby of things that he may have swallowed when he was in the womb.
- It is believed to protect the child
- Helps in knowing about the child,s inclination towards his occupation in the future
- Showers prosperity.
- Help increase the life span of an individual.
Occasions to Perform Annaprashan Puja
There are certain days that are considered auspicious for Annaprasana Puja, they are:.
Annaprashan Puja Vidhi (Procedure)
- All the Puja samagri items must be kept prepared before hand
- A regular Puja is done before starting the Annaprashan ceremony procedure
- Chant the proper Annaprashan Sanskar mantra
- This is followed by the father or the mother feeding the baby
- After this, the baby is kept on the holy grass next to the fire while the father offers prayers
- After the Puja, certain stationary items or toys are spread out around the child. The first object chosen by the child indicates his future occupation. For instance, if he touched art materials, he would be an artist.But it is important to note that the Puja should be undertaken after considering the Annaprashan Sanskar Muhurat 2016 for your child with a Pandit.
Annaprashan Puja Shubh Muhurat
It is performed on even days for boys and odd days for girls.