You must have heard of names like Pushkar, Shambhu, Maheshwar, Neelkanth, Tryambakeshwar, Kaal Bhairav, Nataraja, Pashupatinath, and Bhubaneshwar. All of them are few of the many names of Lord Shiva. He is also given the name of ‘Rudra’, which happens to be his fiercest avatar. Worshipping this fierce avatar is believed to have many benefits in one’s life. One such method of worshipping is known as the ‘Laghu Rudra Puja’
Importance and Significance of Laghu Rudra Puja
Lord Shiva is Mahadev, which literally translates to ‘The Greatest God’. In the Tridev he is known to be the destroyer; destroyer of evil and negativity. The Laghu Rudra Puja involves the chanting of the Shree Rudram, which is considered to be the oldest listing of all the names of Lord Shiva. By chanting these various names, the devotee gets various benefits in all areas of life. If one is going through a specific problem, the Laghu Rudra Puja is a good solution to it.
Benefits of Laghu Rudra Puja
Lord Shiva is the epitome of grace, love, health, power and happiness. Primarily, this Puja is known to fulfill various worldly desires and also provide inner peace and strength. He is the source of the birth of the Nine Celestial Planets, the owner of the key to Kuber’s wealth and one half of the most blessed couples in the Universe.
- Chanting the Shree Rudram helps invoke Shiva’s blessings.
- If one is unwell, he/she is blessed with good health.
- If one is single he/she is blessed with a suitable partner.
- If one is having financial issues, Lord Shiva helps them to get rid of it.
- This Puja is very beneficial if one wishes to get rid of the malefic effects of the Moon or The Nine Planets.
- If one wishes to, then he or she can do it simply for the sake of overall growth and spiritual upliftment. The Laghu Rudra Puja helps the devotees a chance to wash away their negative karma and gain protection from the various positive sources in the Universe.
Occasions to do a Laghu Rudra Puja
There shall be very many such events in life where you might need Lord Shiva’s divine intervention.
- This Puja can be performed during unfortunate periods of ill-health, relationship issues, financial break downs etc. for a smoother and relatively quicker turn around.
- One need not wait for wrong things to happen. If they find out through the horoscopes that there is some ill effect of a previous bad karma, they can perform the Laghu Rudra Puja to reduce if not eliminate these ill-effects.
- Moreover if things are smooth-sailing, but you wish to maintain the peace and harmony in the house or simply thank Lord Shiva for all that he has already given to you; the Laghu Rudra Puja is a perfect way of doing so.
Laghu Rudra Puja Vidhi (Procedure)i
- The Laghu Rudra puja samagri includes essentials like a Shiv Linga, Panchamrut, belpatra, flowers, fruits, coconut, copper lota, mango leaves, wheat grains, ghee lamps, incense sticks, dhoop, Tulsi leaves, sugarcane juice, Gangajal, supari, havan kund, ghee, matchsticks, sweets and other items as suggested by the Pandits.
- As always the first step would be to pray to the Pratham Pujya, Lord Ganesh so that he provides his protection to the Puja as well as all the devotees. He is the Vignaharta so we should all pray to him to remove all obstacles and hurdles from our lives.
- Post that we do the Kalash Puja and Sthapana. The Kalash is made by keeping wheat grains on which the copper lota is placed. The Lota is filled with Gangajal and regular water. People put akshata i.e. grains of rice and a few barkat coins inside the lota. It is covered using 5 mango leaves and a coconut. The lota has to be covered on the side using a red cloth.
- Most priests do the Navagraha Puja after that. While doing so the Pandits and family chant the mantra of all the nine planets 108 times each.
- Pandits usually chant the Ganpati Mantra 5500 times and the Gayatri mantra 1100 times.
- The Shiva Linga is then bathed (abhishekam) using the five elements of the Panchamrut and water. While doing so the Pandits chant the Maha Mrityunjaya Jaap; post which there are a specified number of recitations of the Namak Chamak mantra.
- A Havan Kund is then readied for the Yagya/Hom and the Pandits as well as the key devotees sit around, chant the mantras and keep pouring spoonfuls of ghee to keep the fire going.
- Pushpanjali i.e. Flowers being offered to all the Aaradhyas.
- The Puja ends with singing of the aarti, donating some items to the Brahmins and distributing the Prasad among all the participants.
Laghu Rudra Puja Muhurat
The Holy month of Shravan is considered the best for a Laghu Rudra Puja. Mondays in that month are considered penultimate. But one doesn’t need to really wait till that time. If there are pressing situations then you can consult a pandit for a shubh mahurat that shall depend on the horoscope of the person performing it or of the one for whom the Puja is being done. Otherwise special days like Maha Shivratri or Sankranti are by default muhurats of the Laghu Rudra Puja