Amidst the most auspicious Pujas performed in Hinduism, the Griha Pravesh Puja is conducted on the occasion of purchasing a new Home or House or after the renovation of a Home. Performed to ensure peace and harmony in the new House, the Griha Pravesh Puja holds both, scientific and spiritual value for every Hindu believer and follower.
Three types of Griha Pravesh have been mentioned in our Ancient scriptures and Vedic books:
- Apoorva: The first entrance of the members to a newly constructed Home or a newly selected piece of land is referred to as Apoorva i.e. New Griha Pravesh.
- Sapoorva: Post travelling abroad i.e. after the migration; entry of the members to their existing Home is referred to as Sapoorva i.e. Re Griha Pravesh.
- Dwandwah: When members of the House re-enter it after renovation or reconstruction; it’s termed as Dwandwah i.e.Old Griha Pravesh.
Importance and Significance of Griha Pravesh Puja
The purchasing of a new Home is one of the most important stages of life and this ritual and custom of Griha Pravesh Puja is mandatory for every Hindu believer or follower. It’s believed as per Astrological and Vedic science that a newly bought home may have the sin of millions of deaths of organisms over it during the process of construction. Additionally, the land on which it’s built can be impure and it can infest negativity and evil forces. The Griha Pravesh puja is a precautionary measure to fortify the safety of your Home and its family members while assuring the nurturing of positivity and prosperity in the Home premises. It is basically conciliation with the Gods and Goddesses to keep a safe watch on the fortune of the Home and its members.
Benefits of Griha Pravesh Puja
- Griha Pravesh Puja brings peace, good fortune and harmony in the life of the members staying in the new House.
- The Griha Pravesh Havan or Griha Pravesh Yagya is a part of the Griha Pravesh Puja. It purifies the mind, body and soul of the members of the House and also, purifies and spiritualizes the surrounding and environment of the Home with holy vibe and a divine ambiance.
- It also marks an auspicious beginning of the new phase of life of the members of the House and for this purpose only Ganesh Puja is performed while conducting the Griha Pravesh Puja. It also removes all the obstacles.
- Kalash Sthapana Puja which is a part of the Griha Pravesh Puja is performed to accomplish the worship of everything in the universe.
- The Griha Pravesh Puja is a part of the Vastu Shanti Puja and is done in order to appease the Gods and planets so that the owner of the house is blessed with good fortune and all the planets i.e. Navagraha and Vastu God is also worshipped so that no harm can be caused either to the home or it’s inmates.
Occasions to do a Griha Pravesh Puja
- Purchasing a new home.
- Renovating an older home.
- Renting a house.
- Bride entering the groom’s home.
Griha Pravesh Puja Vidhi (Procedure)
A process or ceremony for a particular Puja varies as per the community, language and location of the devotee performing the Puja. Similarly, the procedure for Griha Pravesh mentioned here might or might not vary but we along with our panel of Pandits have formulated a generalized Griha Pravesh Puja Vidhi i.e. Griha Pravesh Process for a devotee which is as mentioned below:
- The Nariyal-Kalash preparation is done and the appropriate mantras are chanted and then, the Kalash Puja is performed.
- The entrance or the door’s Puja is performed i.e. Dwar Pujan.
- Again, the names of Lord Ganesha are chanted and the Man of the House takes the Ganesha idol inside the Home while the Woman of the House carries the Nariyal-Kalash over her head and takes it inside the Home.
- Lord Ganesha’s idol or photo, Cow’s idol and the Nariyal-Kalash is placed over a heap of rice laid over a red cloth on an aasan inside the Home.
- The Vastu Gods are worshipped i.e. Vastu Shanti Puja along with the nine planets i.e. Navagraha Puja.
- Lady of the Home worships the Kitchen by boiling milk until it boils out to portray abundance.
- The Panchamrut i.e. a mixture of milk, water, ghee, honey and curd is sprinkled in all corners of the House.
- Laxmi-Narayan Puja or Vishnu Sahasranamam is performed.
- That night is a compulsion for the devotees sitting in the Puja to sleep at their new Home.
Griha Pravesh Puja Muhurat
The Griha Pravesh being an ancient procedure followed while entering the new Home, the Griha Pravesh Vidhi needs to be performed in accordance with the auspicious dates for Griha Pravesh. Muhurat is given due importance in Hinduism and especially a sacred and divine Puja such as Griha Pravesh Puja is always performed as per the Muhurat date and time.
To know the Griha Pravesh puja muhurat in 2016, our pandits can help you find the auspicious time and dates as per your convenience and suitability.